Belkin is one of the leading router and modem manufacturers that makes it possible for every user to have its own home network. Every router or modem comes with a setup CD which is there to make everything as simple as possible. However, if by any chance you don’t have the CD, there is nothing to worry about. Belkin routers, just like the routers of other manufacturers, have a built-in web-based utility which can be easily accessed with the router’s default IP address. Generally, Belkin uses the private IP address 192.168.2.1 for this purpose, but in some cases another IP is used which can be checked in a few steps.
How to check if 192.168.2.1 is the default IP
While some models have the default IP address printed on a label, you can also type 192.168.2.1 in the browser’s address bar to check this. If the login page opens you have the right IP, if not, do the following.
1. Start the Command Prompt. Type CMD in the Run field on windows to do this.
2. When the command Prompt opens, type ipconfig and press the enter button on the keyboard.
3. Between all the lines which will be listed after you do this, in the Command Prompt look for Default gateway. The numbers listed here represent the default router IP which should be 192.168.2.1. If you see other numbers at the end like 0.1 or 1.1, use this IP instead and type them in the address bar. The login window will open up. Try the default username and password to login or contact your ISP if you don’t have these details.
Why and how to login to your router
Perhaps you are wondering why in the world would you want to access your router settings. Well, besides the aforementioned reason, to setup your router, there are also other things you can do:
- secure your Belkin router
- enable wireless internet
- change the network name
- change the default IP address
- change the default username and password
- use MAC filtering
- for port forwarding and so on.
To login to your Belkin router you have to have the following:
- a physical connection to the router. Use an Ethernet cable for this.
- the right router IP address
- the default username and password. Belkin generally doesn’t set up a default username and password. They are set up during the initial setup process. So for the first time leave both fields blank. If the access to the router’s web-based utility is denied contact your ISP for these details.
And now the login process. Type the default IP in the address bar, leave the username/password fields blank press the login button and you are there. Check the menu for all the options available, but please don’t play with these too much. If you are going to change the default username and password, make sure to save the new ones to a safe place just in case.
The entire process of finding the router’s IP address and logging in to secure your router can be seen on the video below. Enjoy.